Do I Need Dental Implants? Three Signs They’re Right for You
Have you lost a tooth? You’re not alone. It’s common with the aging process, given all of the wear and tear over the years. You may have considered getting dental implants to replace a missing tooth or multiple teeth. But are they right for you?
Here at Sonoran Dental Design, we’ve helped lots of people who are missing teeth throughout Scottsdale, AZ. I’d like to share three signs you should consider getting dental implants. If you’ve ever been curious about treatment, we can help you get the info you need to make a smart choice about your oral health.
1. You Are Missing Teeth
Dental implants are a great treatment option if you are missing teeth. It doesn’t even matter how many teeth you are missing, since implants can support different kinds of restorations.
We can support a custom-crafted dental crown on an implant to replace a single missing tooth or anchor a custom bridge for multiple missing teeth on an implant or two. In fact, we can even use implants to stabilize a complete set of implant-supported dentures when a patient is missing most or all of their teeth.
2. You’re in Good Overall Health
For the best results, dental implant patients should be in good overall health. That means they should have healthy teeth and gums, a strong jawbone, and be able to undergo surgery with little risk of complications.
When you’re at our office in Scottsdale, we can do a full assessment of your health and let you know if implants are the way to go.
3. You Want to Restore Your Smile
Dental implants don’t just restore your ability to bite, chew, and speak. Dental implants also improve the overall aesthetics of your smile and your face. This is thanks to the careful craftsmanship involved when creating a crown, bridge, or denture.
That combination of function and aesthetics is why dental implants are often used during a full mouth reconstruction to rehabilitate the smile as well as cosmetic smile makeovers.
A survey of patients with implant-supported restorations found that 93% were satisfied with the results of their implant dentistry treatment.
Am I a Candidate for Dental Implants?
Okay, so dental implants are right for you according to the three signs we listed. You may be wondering what’s next. Let's look at implant eligibility.
Candidates for dental implants have good jawbone density, healthy gums, and realistic expectations. All three matter, so let’s break down why.
Why Jawbone Density Matters
A dental implant is anchored directly into the jawbone, much like a natural tooth root. That’s how implants are able to achieve a high level of stability.
Unfortunately, tooth loss can lead to the loss of bone density in and around a tooth gap. This is because of the lack of stimulation in that part of the jawbone. Placing an implant will restore the stimulation to the bone, preventing further bone atrophy.
If you have lost bone density because you’ve been missing teeth for a while, don’t worry. We can recommend bone grafting treatment to build up bone density along the jaw.
Why Healthy Gums Matter
If you have gingivitis or periodontitis, this increases the risk of infection after a dental implant has been placed. This in turn means that people with gum disease run a higher risk of implant failure. There’s also a chance of developing peri-implantitis, an inflammatory condition that affects the gumline after dental implants have been placed.
Before dental implants can be placed, your gums need to be in good shape. We may recommend periodontal treatments for different stages of gum disease before we move on to the actual placement of your dental implants.
Why Realistic Treatment Expectations Matter
Getting dental implants takes time. There’s an initial oral surgery, a months-long recovery process so the implant post can fuse with your bone structure, and then another surgery to place an abutment so the final restoration stays in place. It will take several months to complete treatment, and it’s important that patients know that.
When you stop by our Scottsdale office for your implant consultation, we’ll review the treatment process and answer any questions you have. Knowing what to expect as well as treatment side effects will help you avoid frustration and stress as the process unfolds.
Reasons to Pick Us for Your Dental Implants
There are plenty of dental offices to choose from in Maricopa County, but I think my dental office in Scottsdale, AZ, has a lot to offer patients in search of a solution for missing teeth.
Of course, I’m a bit biased about this, but here’s what patients can expect from Sonoran Dental Design.
- Individualized Dental Care - Each patient is different, which is why we take time to fully evaluate treatment options as well as a patient’s current wellness needs. If dental implants aren’t right for a patient, I’ll let them know which alternatives are best suited for them.
- Partnership with Top Periodontists - We work with a local periodontal practice to coordinate the placement of dental implants. This means patients will be getting expert insight and surgical care from a dental health specialist that we trust and can vouch for.
- State-of-the-Art Dental Technology - Using the latest diagnostic tools and treatment planning software allows us to optimize implant placement and really assess a patient’s overall health at a deeper level. This improves safety and reduces the risk of treatment complications.
- Prioritizing Patient Comfort - Not everyone enjoys seeing their dentist, but my staff and I always go the extra mile to help you feel like you’re part of our family. We want you to feel relaxed and know that we have your best interests at heart.
- Continuing Improvement and Education - As a member of both the Spear Study Club and the Seattle Study Club, I’m constantly keeping up with the newest techniques in the field of dentistry. I bring all of this new knowledge to the office so patients can experience the benefits.
Want to Restore Your Smile?
Set Up a Visit to Our Practice
Don’t let missing teeth affect your health and confidence. If you live in North Scottsdale and are interested in dental implants, we can answer all of your questions and help you weigh the pros and cons of different treatments. To set up an implant dentistry appointment, contact Sonoran Dental Design.
About Ann Sielicki, DDS
Dr. Ann Sielicki is a member of the American Dental Association and the Arizona Dental Association. She continues to hone her craft through the Spear Dental Study Club.